Here are the Questions for Reflection for this week!
- From almost any perspective it appears that the request James and John make in verse 35 is shocking. Why do you think they made this request? What makes it shocking? Do we ever make similarly shocking kinds of requests of Jesus? If so, like what?
- What does Jesus mean when he uses the words “cup” and “baptism” in verse 38? Do you think James and John understand what Jesus meant when they answer in verse 39? How do we still experience Jesus’ “cup” and “baptism” today?
- Read Mark 15.27. How does this verse help make sense of Mark 10.35-40, especially regarding who will be on Jesus right and left in glory? What does this teach us about human definitions of glory versus Jesus’ definition of glory?
- What does it mean to “lord it over them” in verse 42? Have you ever had a leader over you “lord it over” you? Has this ever happened in a church you’ve been a part of? How should Christian leaders be different from leaders who don’t follow Jesus?
- Look over verses 42-45. What in these verses really stands out to you as the most needed advice for followers of Jesus today? Why did you pick what you did? What are some ways that we can live this advice out in our everyday lives?
If you have any thoughts, suggestions, or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me! My email address is email@example.com. Thanks!