Here are the Questions for Reflection that I’ve prepared for this week. Feel free to use them in your personal devotionals or in your small groups and Sunday School classes.
- How would you describe Mary Magdalene’s emotions in verses 1-2 and 11-13? Is the way that she felt typical for someone in her position? Why or why not?
- Why do you think that Mary did not recognize Jesus in verse 14? What was preventing her from seeing him for who he really is? Is there anything that prevents us from recognizing Jesus in the world today? How might we see him more clearly?
- What changes in v.16 that allows Mary to recognize Jesus? Read John 10.3-4. Does this passage in John 10 help us understand why Mary might have recognized Jesus?
- Does Jesus call out to us using our names today? Where might we hear his voice calling us? How do we differentiate his voice from other voices, including our own voices?
- How would you describe the change in Mary Magdalene from the beginning of this passage to verse 18? How might we become as excited as Mary to obey Jesus in telling others the good news that we have seen the Lord?
If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly! My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.